Classic Caesar Salad with Homeade Scotch Egg and Crispy Bacon
Preparation Time: 20 mins, Cooking Time: 45 mins
- 4 eggs
- 300g Cumberlan sausage meat
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 litre vegetable oil
- 1 medium ciabatta loaf (or 4 thick slices crusty white bread)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large Cos or Romaine lettuce, leaves separated
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan
- 4 bacon rashers
- 4 tbsp Mary Berry's Caesar Dressing
- Boil the eggs in simmering water for 3 minutes, then refresh in cold water and peel.
- Divide the sausage meat into 4 patties and wrap evenly around each egg.
- Put the breadcrumbs, flour and beaten egg in 3 separate containers. Coat each Scotch egg in flour, then egg, then crumbs.
- Heat the oil to 140–150°C in a deep, heavy-based pan. Fry the eggs for 3–4 minutes and drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Tear 1 medium ciabatta into big, ragged croutons or, if you prefer, cut with a knife .Spread over a baking tray and sprinkle over 2 tbspolive oil. Bake for 8-10 mins, turning the croutons a few times during cooking so they brown evenly.
- Meanwhile prepare the tray for the bacon
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the bacon slices on the baking sheet.
- Cook the bacon for 18-20 minutes or until it’s as crispy as you’d like.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Make the salad:
- In a mixing bowl add chopped lettuce , pieces of crispy bacon,Parmesan and croutons . Add Caesar dressing and mix gently with two spoons.
- Divide into the four plates , add scotch egg and drizzle with extra dressing if desired .
Recipe Hints & Tips
Caesar Pasta - Toast some flaked almonds in a frying pan, toss through cooked pasta - penne or conchiglie - with some crispy prosciutto or Parma ham, olive oil, parsley and seasoning. Stir in 4 tablespoons of Mary Berry’s Caesar Dressing mixed with a tablespoon of cream cheese to thicken. Top with Parmesan shavings and croutons to serve.
Chicken Caesar Wraps - Make quick and easy chicken Caesar wraps with shop-bought roasted chicken breast, sliced then tossed in mayonnaise and Mary Berry’s Caesar Dressing with shredded iceberg lettuce, grated Parmesan, a dash of Tabasco and seasoning. Spoon onto soft flour tortillas and wrap up tight.
Caesar Slaw - Red Cabbage & Fennel - Finely shred red cabbage, carrots, fennel and shallots. Toss in a bowl with Caesar dressing and season to taste.
Chicken & Avocado Fajitas - Layer up some cooked chicken, avocado, cooked peppers and onions along with Mary Berry’s Caesar dressing onto a tortilla wrap, then serve!
Caesar Prawn Skewers - Marinate prawns in Caesar dressing. Skewer prawns, cherry tomatoes, courgette, red onion and peppers, then drizzle with the dressing. Grill and serve.
Go to product >